Mykonos is an island of the eastern Cyclades, located in the central Aegean Sea It lies southeast of Tinos and north of Naxos. It has a total area of 105,481 acres, a maximum length of 14 km and width of 10km, a coastline of 81 km and a population of 10,190. Administratively, it belongs to the prefecture of Cyclades. This arid island has an interesting rocky soil and a rich flora with more than 1,100 plant species.
It is the ultimate spot in Mykonos to gaze at Delos and feel its energy. Named after the picturesque church of Agios Ioannis. The setting is ideal: golden sandy beach, crystal clear water and a view of the sacred island of antiquity right across. You will choose it if you are looking for peace and quiet and fine fish taverns. Situated 3.5 km northwest of Chora.
Northern bay with crystal clear waters, 5 km away from Chora. It is susceptible to northerly winds, hence ideal for windsurf stunts. Due to its lounge feel, the beach bars and the wild beauty, you will fall for it. In Panormos you will not find sun beds but bean bags.
In this famous beach bar of Mykonos, 6.5 km southeast of Chora, the mood hits red. An idyllic scenery with golden sand and turquoise waters, sun beds, showers and exemplary beach service. Also found here the namesake bar that made Plintri (the original name of the beach) known worldwide, due to the party atmosphere from dusk until dawn.
Remote, down there in the south, 11.5 km away from Chora, with emerald waters, sun beds, umbrellas, Water sports, WCs and showers. Just before you arrive at the beach the namesake fish tavern, with the old fishing boat at the entrance, is ideal for those who love lobster.
It is the opposing force of Psarou, another popular “meeting point” for Greek and foreign jetsetters, 9 km south of Chora. A sandy beach, surrounded by the deep blue of the Aegean, fully equipped with sun beds, umbrellas, beach bars, water sports school and numerous restaurants. There are quite a few who choose the location for beach volley. Also preferred by a great number of families.
Preferred by families and mostly Greeks, it is one of the most frequently visited organized beaches of Mykonos. The small fish port facing the North accommodates taverns, restaurants, café bars, sun beds, umbrellas, rooms to let and wi-fi. In this sheltered bay dock many yachts and sailboats, while this is the departure point for the boats to Super Paradise, Agrari and Elia. 4 km away from Chora. The sports enthusiasts should know that here they can also hone their skills in beach volley.
The joy of celebrities and VIPs, on the way to Platis Gialos. There is no exaggeration in saying that all – and we mean all – the island’s celebrities gather in this famous bay with the crystal clear waters and the golden sand, in order to enjoy the 5 stars beach service. Good looking people, packed wallets, luxurious yachts at the foreground and one of the world’s hottest beach bars create the profile of Psarou. 4.5 km south of Chora.
It retains the title of the most alternative small cove, north of Chora, 6 km away. The rocky road will lead you to the former nudists’ meeting point with the turquoise waters. There are no umbrellas, sun beds and beach bars. During August the beach is exposed to trade winds.
The definition of all day frenzied fun, 5.5 km south of Chora! The immense beach with the magical seabed and the thick sand moves to the rhythm of the beach bars operating here. The agenda of Paradise (Kalamopodi for the locals) includes endless parties at the Tropicana, countless shots and powerful decibels. It also scores very high in organization as it provides umbrellas, sun beds, showers, mini market, rooms to let and beach bars. At Paradise there is a reef that attracts divers from everywhere. Accessible by boat from Ornos or Platis Gialos.
The neighborhood of Scarpa is not far from a painting … By the mid 18th century, the wealthy merchants and ship owners of the time begun to build the white mansions with the red and blue loggia practically atop the sea, at the right of Alefkandra bay. Today, many of them have given way to restaurants and small romantic bars, offering an ideal spot to enjoy the sunset.
The landmark of Mykonos, in the area of Castro. The seven all-white round buildings, always “gazing” towards the Aegean, are one of the favorite photographic themes for the island’s visitors. Some of the remaining windmills have been renovated and even inhabited.
All the streets lead to… Matogianni. Not only does it have the reputation, but it also has the charm of the most cosmopolitan street of Chora. In the alley that starts from Gialos and ends at the “triangle” of Kessaris, bars, expensive boutiques, jewelry stores and designer shops are gathered, always filled with demanding customers. This most popular street of Mykonos is the meeting point for the first, the second, the x… drink.
The monastery of Virgin Mary of Tourlos
In 1542, two monks from Paros founded the first cells and the church, in the same area where the old church, devoted to the Presentation of Mother Mary, used to be. However, the monastery of Mother Mary of Tourlos obtained its final shape almost two hundred years later, when in 1757 the monk Ignatius Bassoulas was forced to retire inside and renovate it. Dazzled by the wealth of the Western Church, during his stay in Italy he had embraced Catholicism, however when he returned to his homeland he repented and decided to atone. Having worked for ten years and after having spent a large part of his private assets, the abbot could boast about having constructed a holly “fortress” with a wonderful wooden carved iconostasis, covered all in gold leaf by Italian craftsmen, while for the Episcopal throne and the Pulpit of the 18th century it is said that they have been crafted in Florence… The residential area of Ano Mera was developed around the monastery of Virgin Mary of Troulos. Today, the monastery collection encompasses a large number of religious artifacts, vestments, tools, liturgical objects, icons and offerings.
The Armenistis Lighthouse
It was built in 1891 at the location Fanari of the cape Armenistis, approximately 5 km northwest of Chora. Its construction was decided after the British steamboat VOLTA sank causing the death of 11 members of the crew in 1887 on the north coast of Mykonos. The tower rises up to 19 meters and it has a focal height of 184 meters. The mechanism of the original lamp was made by SAUTER LEMONIER and functioned at the top of the lighthouse until 1983. Since then part of it is kept in the garden of the Aegean Maritime Museum, at the area Three Wells, in Chora.
You will find it on the way to Panormos beach. It is an artificial lake – rain water collector that serves the island’s water supply needs, especially during summer months.
The Three wells
In the middle of Chora, since the mid 18th century and until the 1950’s the three wells ensured the water supply for the city of Mykonos.
Radiant, in its snow-white “dress”, the most photographed church of the Aegean is a staggering example of medieval Cycladic architecture. The complex structure standing at the west side of Castro since the 16th-17th century consists of five temples, built on two levels. You will find it on the way from Gialos to Little Venice.
– See more at: http://www.mykonosinformation.com
The sacred island of the ancient times is located 6 n.m. southwest of Mykonos. It covers an area of 3.4 square kilometers and has a population of 14 inhabitants, who work at the archaeological site and the museum of the island. Together with the neighboring Rhenia, they form Deles. According to Thucydides, Carians were the first who “discovered” Delos, while during the 16th century it was inhabited by Mycenaeans and later by Ionians, who made it their religious center. The ancient pilgrimage center of Apollo reached its highest peak after the Persian wars, when the First Delian League was established and it was decided that the official meeting place as well as the treasury of the city states would be held in Delos. That was when the island acquired wealth and great power, of which the Athenians were not very fond. In 454 BC, under the pretext of security, as the Peloponnesian war was raging, the aforementioned decided to transfer the treasury to the Acropolis. Later, when the Delians began claiming the treasury back, the answer they were given was the island’s “catharsis”; the Athenians opened the tombs and transferred the bones and the funeral gifts into a mass grave (known as the Purification pit) in the neighboring Rhenia. They also banned births and deaths on the sacred island, while in 422 BC they banished all Delian population. Approximately three centuries later, in 166 BC the Romans declared Delos a free port, giving a boost to the trade and practically inaugurating a second thriving period. Temples, baths, palaestrae, markets, luxurious residencies and workshops were built at the valley of the Temple of Apollo, where almost 30.000 people inhabited … The beginning of the end started in 88 BC, when Mithridates, the king of Pontus plundered the island of Cyclades. “Worthy” imitators, the pirates of Athenodoros invaded themselves too in 69 BC, leading Delos to darkness. The golden city with the columns, the mosaics, the statues, the palaestrae, the ancient theatre and the bygone wealthy districts came to light again in 1873, after the excavations of the French Archaeological School of Athens. In 1990 Delos was declared a monument of global cultural heritage by UNESCO. Today, in the archaeological site of Delos one will see Arcades, Markets, worship centers and temples as that of Apollo, of Artemis, of Leto, of the Athenians etc. You will also see the avenue of Lions and the Theatre district with the ancient theatre from the 3rd century BC. Spending the night on the island is prohibited.
You can access Delos by tourist boats that depart daily – except Mondays – at 09:00, at 10:00 and at 11:00 from the port of Gialos, next to the church of Agios Nikolaos. Each Monday the site is closed to the public.